Are you looking for cheap places to stay in London? London is so so expensive, right? Well, not necessarily. If you want, it’s possible to have a very affordable holiday in London. You just need to know where to stay.
Here’s a couple of tips on cheap accommodation in London:
Cheap places to stay in London
You’ve been through hotels.com and booking.com and can’t really find anything for less than 100 pounds a night. Well, as I said above you need to know where to stay. And in all honesty you have to be ready to live a little bit outside of central London.
There are basically two budget accommodation chains in the UK that you can choose from: Premier Inn and Travelodge.
Premier Inn is slightly better in my opinion and it’s a great option if you’re staying in other parts of the UK. But for London… Premier Inn is more expensive so I’d go for Travelodge (unless you’re staying close to Gatwick Airport in which case Premier Inn has great options).
Travelodge is great for budget accommodation in London
Now you’re probably wondering: How cheap is it exactly then?
It depends. You might find Travelodge hotels for as little as 35 pounds a night. But then again you could end up paying a lot more for weekend stays. So here are some tips on how to book a cheap stay in a Travelodge hotel:
- Be flexible with your stay if you can. Don’t book your flight until you’ve taken a look at the hotel prices. You could save some money by arriving or leaving a day or two earlier or later.
- Be open about the location of your hotel. The distances in London are huge anyway so wherever you’re staying you’re most likely spending a lot of time on the tube (the tube = London underground). So unless you only have a day or two I don’t think it’s necessary to stay in the central London.
- Book well ahead. Really, as soon as you can. The prices go up really quickly. If possible find a Travelodge hotel that’s just opening in the area for amazing value for money.
The pros and cons of staying in a Travelodge hotel
Travelodge (and Premier Inn) hotels are great for clean, basic accommodation. They usually have a good bed and a nice shower which at least for me is pretty much all I need. The rooms are often even quite spacious (in European standards) but have often just a desk and a chair in addition to the bed. So, if you’re looking for something luxurious, you’ll have to pay a lot more and choose another hotel. But if you want a budget option that is often a lot better than some smaller and twice as expensive hotels in London, Travelodge is a great option.
So where should you stay if not in central London?
Travelodge London Wembley High Road hotel is a brilliant choice if you’re planning to visit:
- Wembley Stadium (for a show or an amazing stadium tour) or Wembley Arena
- Westfield Shopping Centre
- The Making of Harry Potter (Warner Bros. Studio Tour, in Leavesden)
Travelodge London Richmond Central on the other hand is a great option for:
- Richmond itself (I love this small town with its nice wine bars by the Thames)
- Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew
… And they are both just a 20 – 30 minute tube ride away from central London which really isn’t too bad.
Good luck finding cheap places to stay in London! Go ahead, you can enjoy London on a budget! 🙂